Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Welcome Box (07/25/2012)

Today's post is NOT a card ... it is a BOX!  Let's check it out.



I needed to give a gift to a visiting Chinese lecturer, and decided to make a box to put the welcome gift in.  Red is a traditional color for gift giving, and I didn't have a red box - so I made one!  I purchased a white cubed box from a big box store, and decided to decorate it.  The bad news is, distress ink (all I had in red!) does NOT stick or adhere to glossy white boxes.  But, I am getting ahead of myself.

I decided to decorate with a little bit of scrolly swirls from Lawn Fawn's Grand Greetings, and heat embossed with gold embossing powder.  After I got the gold scrolls embossed, I tried to do a resist technique using red distress ink.  But, the ink didn't stay on the box and kept smearing off.  I had nothing else to color it with, so I ended up pulling out my crystal 3d glue and some red tissue paper.  I smeared the glue all over the box, and wrapped it in the tissue paper and smooshed it down.  So, the tissue ended up being laid over the gold embossed decorations.  Not exactly what I had in mind, but I think it ended up working out.

Here is a shot of the goodies inside the gift box:



All in all, I was pleased with how it turned out - but it sure was a process to get to this point!  Hopefully our visitor enjoyed his welcome gift.

Thanks for stopping by, have a magical day!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment