Monday, March 26, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad (03/26/2012)

Meet today's card:  My Dad's birthday was last week, and here is the card that I made for him ... I don't exactly what to prejudice your thoughts about it - but there are some things I like about it, and some I don't.  Without further commentary, here is his card:




So, as promised, here are some things I LIKE and some things I DON'T LIKE about this card:
  • I LIKE the blue suede paper birthday cake (Dad's favorite color is BLUE ... and ya can't go wrong with "Blue Suede Shoes," I mean Cake)
  • I LIKE the chocolate polka dotted ribbon across the bottom, a ribbon from my stash
  • I LIKE the background paper behind the three square cutouts.  I made this card using an Accucut Die Cut at my favorite local, Mom & Pop stamp store: Stampadoodle.  Wendy & Steve, the owners, are incredible, as are all their employees. Shout out to all the girls, especially Laurie!!
  • I LIKE the little diamond pop-up of Happy Birthday.  I happily pulled out my absolutely favorite stamp company, Lawn Fawn, and used their Bake Me a Cake set for both the sentiment and the paper-pieced cake.  Then, I highlighted the words with some bronze glitter glue.  Here is a close up of the sentiment:

  • I LIKE the "dad" in the three "windows" of the card.  I used Lawn Fawn's Quinns ABCs (another absolute fave of mine!) and heat embossed the sentiment with black embossing powder, and then filled each letter in with a white glitter glue
  • I DON'T LIKE that I feel inept with making a masculine card.  I feel like this card is too plain and needs MORE - especially in the upper right area or across the top.  If this were a non-masculine card, I'd fill it with ribbon, rhinestones, a flower or butterfly or something ... but those just don't seem to fit the bill on this card
So, what do you think?  I will continue to hone my skills on masculine cards - good thing I don't make them every day though :) 

And, I hope my Dad likes this card.  Happy Birthday Dad!  Here's hoping your special day was fabulous :)

Thanks for stopping by, have a magical day!

Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment