Friday, September 7, 2012

Fabric Rosette Thanks Card (09/07/2012)

A first attempt with fabric ... and a new technique with lots o' glue (glots!) and rosettes.  Let me set the stage though, before we meet our card.

Terri treated me to a "bag" class where we made fabric grocery or tote bags at a local quilt shop.  The class was so much fun, and I really enjoyed it.  I purchased some fabric after the class to use for rosettes, which was a technique I learned from a video by Melissa of The Rubber Cafe.  I just knew I could blend all these things together for a little thank you card for Terri!

Here is the card:

For the fabric rosette, I laid down a big blob of glue on parchment paper and let it "dry" overnight.  It dries clear but remains tacky.  I cut a strip of fabric, about 2 or 2-1/2" wide, and about 18" long.  I tied a knot in the selvage end, stuck it down in the middle of the dry/tacky glue glob, and started twisting the fabric and tamping it down into the glue blob and wound the fabric around and around, moving to the outer edge.  I kept going until I ran out of fabric, or glue glob space, whichever came first!  At the very end, I tucked about one inch of fabric under the glue glob to help hold it in place.  I peeled off the glue glob from the parchment paper, and stuck it down on my card base.  For more detailed directions, check out Melissa's video here.

I made a small card from yellow cardstock (maybe about 3" square, when folded), and added a dashed border Lawn Fawn's Belinda's Borders stamp set.  I also tossed on a sentiment from Many Thanks set as well, and cut around it, then adhered it to the card.

I enjoyed trying out a new technique, and using some gorgeous fabric!  I think I am addicted to fabric now :)  And, I just wanted to tell Terri thanks for the great afternoon, and the fun we had making our cool new bags!

Thanks for stopping by, have a magical day!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment