Friday, March 16, 2012

Mele Kalikimaka card (03/16/2012)

I know it isn't the season ... but here is a Mele Kalikimaka card I made to celebrate the winter holidays!  I love this paper from Island Paperie.  They have such an amazing collection of hawaiian themed paper, die cuts, stencils and embellishments.  I just go a little crazy each time I go to their store on the Big Island.  I haven't been to their main Maui store - but another reason to visit Maui eh?



But enough about the great state of Hawaii and back to my card.  The Mele Kalikimaka paper had elements of green, pink and orange in it (perfect combination!) so I pulled up those elements with solid cardstock and embellishments!  I like this color combination for winter holidays much more than traditional red and green (even though there is some of that in this card too - I could have gone either way, but I can't say no to pink and orange!).

I cut the hibiscus (one of my favorite flowers!) with my Silhouette electronic cutter, and gave the flower a little dimension with inked edges and sparkly rhinestones.

The sentiment "Mele Kalikimaka & Hau'oli Makahiki Hou" is Hawaiian for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I added a few sparkly rhinestones to finish off the bottom of the sentiment because I felt like I needed more shiny things on this card.  And, I inked the edges of the card itself too. 

This was a fun card to make, and it makes me wistfully think about Hawaii and when I can visit it again....

Thanks for stopping by, have a magical day!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment